Friday, September 9, 2011

Sausage, Pear and Gorgonzola Egg Bake

 The weather is turning cooler here in Michigan and that means comfort food!!  Generally I don't have my meals planned but I had everything on hand to make the warm, comforting recipe below.

 This recipe is based on a frittata a local restaurant, Mornin' at Maggies, offers.  It has been a long time since I ate at Maggies and I can't recall exactly what is in the frittata but I did my best to try and replicate the savory and sweet taste.  I made it into an "egg bake" because my new frying pans suck and can't go into the oven, so I baked everything in a casserole dish.  You can bake this in the same pan you fry the sausage in, as long as the pan is oven-safe.
Look at all that cheesy goodness!!!


Sausage, Pear and Gorgonzola Egg Bake

  • 1 pound pork sausage
  • 2 ripe pears
  • 6 oz. gorgonzloa cheese, crumbled
  • 8 eggs
  • 2 TB herbs de province (see note)
  • 4 TB water

Crumble and brown sausage in a frying pan.  Drain off excess fat.
Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  Spray a 9"x9" casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
Slice the pears and cut the slices into large pieces.
Beat the eggs , water and herbs de province together in a bowl.
Layer the sausage, cheese and pears in the casserole dish.  Pour the beaten eggs over everything.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the eggs are cooked through.

Note: I strongly suggest you use herbs de province but if you don't have herbs de province, you can use a combination of salt, pepper, rosemary, thyme and oregano.  There are plenty of recipes online to make your own but I purchased mine from a local company, Lesley Elizabeth.


On another note, I made some raspberry lemon bars from a recipe I found on Live Love Pastsa.  They were divine!!  I don't bake (too much measuring) but I really wanted to make the bars.  They were easy to make and turned out great.

No comments:

Post a Comment