Saturday, September 25, 2010

Blog Party!!!

I joined a Practical Magic Blog Party and this is my contribution to the party.

I have always been into using herbs, from cooking to home remedies. I made some Sinus Shower Blaster Tablets to help with sinus paid and pressure.  The blasters are actually a version of a bath bomb and you put the tablet in the corner of your shower and when the water hits it, it will fizz like an bath bomb and release the scent of essential oils of eucalyptus, rosemary and mint to help clear your nasal passages.  It's like a Vick's Vapo-Rub steam and has helped me a lot.  Here is how I make them:

You will need:
  • Citric Acid (available at health food stores, some home brewing supply stores)
  • Baking Soda
  • Witch Hazel
  • Essential Oils of rosemary, eucalyptus and mint (or I have used the Sinus Blend from Wholesale Supplies Plus)
  • Spray Bottle
  • Mold for the tablets (I used a small condiment dish)
In a large bowl, mix 1 cup citric acid with 2 cups baking soda.  Mix well, then add a few drops of the essential oils.  Just 1-2 drops at a time to start, you can always ass more.  Spritz the mixture with the witch hazel and keep mixing with your hands, squeezing the mixture between your fingers slightly to make sure everything is well mixed.  Keep spritzing and mixing until the mixture stays together when squeezed, it will be like wet sand.
Pack the mixture into your mold, making sure to pack it down well.  The harder you pack it, the longer it will last in the shower.  Gently unmold your tablets and let them dry overnight.
Use one in the corner of a hot steamy shower to help relieve sinus problems.
Below is a picture of what mine look like.

22 comments:

  1. This is a fabulous party post! Thank you for sharing this, my husband and I have a terrible time with our allergies. I'm going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your 'Practical Magic Party' post!

    Gentle hugs,
    "Sweet Aunt Bridget" for the day

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant PM posting, thank you for sharing your witchy knowledge with us! Kat http://katthehatlady.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this spell, charm! Will definitely try this! Magical Post - Thanx for sharing, we loved this! - what fun!

    For More Practical Magic stop by at
    Practical Magic - How To Make A Magic Wand
    http://lenorita-lenoramoore.blogspot.com/2010/09/practical-magic-blogparty-2010.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fab idea, I've made many bath bombs, but never thought of making them to use in the shower! Thanks for sharing your wonderful party post, and I think these will also help with any unpleasant side-effects of midnight margaritas :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting idea -- thanks for sharing!

    -- Birgit

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing the little bit of witch in you!

    -Blanche

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow a wonderful blog party and a recipie for cold relief! Awsome and so original!


    My link is not up yet but feel free to visit me at faeriesagekitchen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this with all of us! And thank you so much for the blog party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank You for this excellent tutorial! I will have to make some of these.
    Cenya

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome and good to know. Now, that is practical magic. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My allergies have been horrible! What a wonderful gift you gave for the sinus bombs, can't wait to make mine :) Blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will be trying your recipe soon. It sounds like it has the potential to be a powerful nasal decongestant without all the additives.

    Thanks so very much. Great idea for the blog party post~

    ReplyDelete
  14. hello!
    as i sit and write this i'm having a terrible time trying to breathe and this sounds like a wonderful remedy.Thank you for sharing it.
    Have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh this sounds great, it's getting to be that time of year too. As soon as people start using their fireplaces I'll need this!

    ReplyDelete
  16. as a gal with chronic, severe sinusitis and allergic rhionitus, I TOTALLY appreciate this recipe!! thanks so much for sharing :)
    Peace,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a wonderful post! Thanks for the recipe! I hope you'll come "fly" over to my blog and see what I have been brewing!
    ~Michelle
    http://faeriedustdreams-michelle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello! What a great post! I love the sinus bath remedies! I'll have to try this at home :)

    If you haven't visited me already you can find my post here! http://vagabondcreations.blogspot.com/2010/09/practical-magic-blog-party_25.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful party post. Thanks for sharing your recipe!! Brightest Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This sounds like it will work real magic. Will certainly try it,thank you. Lovely post.
    Annabelle * *
    * * ~^..^~ * *

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yum!
    *

    .*

    .*.*

    .*.+.+.

    +.+**+*.*.*.*+.*

    .*.+*.**+*.**+

    ****.+.*.+

    ..*.*+*.+*.+

    *+*+

    ***.+.+.+.+.+.+

    ..*.*.*.*.

    *.+.****.

    +.**

    .+.

    *

    ReplyDelete